Top Tips For Dealing With Damp

If your house has black mould on the internal walls, this could be a warning sign which suggests your property is suffering from penetrating damp and unless dealt with quickly, can seriously affect your health. Mould and dampness is not something people generally enjoy living with and in some cases, constant dampness inside a house can lead to serious illness and breathing diseases, so this article is important for you to read and is NOT a thinly disguised sales pitch either! It is also worth noting that in many cases, there is quick or cheap fix to permanently cure damp and using a damp proofer kent company, you can get the right help.

Let’s get rid of that damp!

We are going to show you some tips for getting rid of damp in the home, but firstly let’s look at damp; what is it and why is it important to take action as soon as you find damp? Damp in the home is generally best summed up as water or moisture getting in where it should not be. The exterior walls, foundations, windows and roof of your property, if maintained correctly, will give years of trouble free existence and prevent against damp or mould appearing. If any of the above items are not kept in good condition, getting damp in the house is, to be honest, your own fault.

OK, let’s not be judgemental, after all, you could have just bought the house, or only discovered the existence of a problem in the structure, but whatever reason, it needs to be cured.

What is damp?

Damp is, as above, where water has got into the home, and onto surfaces, or into places, where it’s existence will encourage spreading of the affected area and the problem becoming much worse.

Damp comes in two main forms, penetrating damp where the water comes in through the walls, and rising damp,where the water in the ground that would normally be stopped by the damp proof course, somehow makes it way past that and UPWARDS into the house, always appearing at lower parts of the wall, no higher than 5 feet. There are some steps that you the home owner can take to get rid of mould, but in many cases, work would need to be done to the house to stop the cause of the problem, or any damp removal will be in vain because it will only come back again over time.

Black mould spores? Uh-oh.

When your internal walls become wet, they are an ideal breeding ground for damp mould spores, the worst kind of which are known as Stachybotrys chartarum , and this is a deadly strain which exists in an alarming number of homes in the UK.

The mycotoxins (naturally occurring chemicals produced by Mould)  are toxic and can cause people to suffer toxic symptoms including: Respiratory and breathing  problems, Haemorrhage problems, inflammation of the skin, Irritation of the mucous membranes, constant tiredness or the feeling like you are going to be sick.

Even if the source of the water is found and stopped, the mould can become powdery and this is when it starts to release the spores in the air inside the house.

THE MOULD SPORES ARE WORSE FOR YOUR HEALTH THAN SMOKING.